New York City Trip

Sore Feet
Street Scene
       On Friday, March 9th, 2018 I arrived at 100 Thompson's Point Road, Portland ME, 04102 at 5:30am. I bought my ticket and waited for the rest of the group to gather. We boarded the bus and were instantly excited after a long day of waiting to see if we were still going on the original date of Thursday, March 8th. During the long bus rides to Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York, I couldn't help but daydream of all the different aspects and highlights that were about to come. For starters, I couldn't wait to use my film camera in a new city and try to get the best shot possible. Secondly, I was beyond excited to spend the weekend with some great friends. 
Business Trip
Street Scene 
       Once we got there I learned quite quickly that if you make eye contact with any stranger anywhere there, they will come up and talk to you. We ended up making a game out of it because it happened so much. Throughout the first afternoon there we hit the streets with our cameras and explored as much ground as we could. I was happy to see that there was barely any snow there and as a highlight of the trip, as sad as it is, I was glad that I packed some "white" Chuck Taylor hightop Converse. An aspect that I learned about the city is that everyone walks very fast which was perfect because I do as well but it came to be a bit of a struggle for when I wanted to stop and take a photograph because people would continue to shove their way around me. 


Corner of East 45 St
Architecture
   













Recycle
Street Scene
  Quickly we all came to the conclusion that we needed a catchy saying to let the group know that one of us wanted to stop and photograph something. So as I do I quickly came up with something very simple but very clever. "PHOTO PAUSE" which can have many meanings two of which fit perfectly. One meaning that one of us wanted to pause and take a picture and the other meaning "photo", which is what we call our little group, to pause. I became very imaginative to when it came to how to carry my stuff and not get pick-pocketed, I ended up using my father's old camera bag and has many compartments what hold quite a lot. In the end, I had about four phones, none of which belonged to me. Lastly, a highlight that stands out more than the rest would have to be the multiple times we got lost in the middle of the city not knowing where the nearest subway station is or what street we were supposed to turn on. Luckily I had packed my portable battery and kept my phone at 100% the whole time so I would be able to quickly use the internet to grab a map. 
        


Lower Manhattan
Architecture
At the close of our trip, like always must come to an end and as fun, as it was we could all tell that we were ready to go home. The day before we covered 10.35 miles and that was just by foot and not including the subway, and we were all pretty sore and tried. We got up early, well were supposed to. Some of us, 2, didn't get up until 15 minutes before we had to leave. We boarded the city bus at the Bowery/Grand St bus station. After about a 20 minute ride we got off and waited for our final bus home and after about half an hour just about everyone in the group was sound asleep. 

$2.50 per every 1/5 of a mile
Movement

Preparing for this trip took four years of high school, scrolling through galleries, and finally a lot of leg strength. When it came time for the trip we had four main categories to keep in mind to photograph, Movement, Close-ups, Architecture, Landscapes/Cityscapes/Street Scenes. I had the most fun with street scenes due to the fact it's so similar to lifestyle photography which is my all-time favorite. I also had a blast with architecture because everywhere you look, you are surrounded by it. I had more of a struggle with movement and close-ups due to the fact that I didn't bring the right equipment that I needed. I didn't want to bring too many lenses to have to keep switching as we were on the move and I also didn't want to carry a bulking tripod to capture long exposer movement photographs. I wish I took more photographs of people and really getting their emotion through the lens. Concluding the trip and now looking back at my photographs I'm glad to say that I have multiple images that I am very proud of.  
Golden Pink
Architecture

Floatie
Close up

"Take the fastest route please"
Movement








25¢
Close Up

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bi Weekly I am Most proud of

Creative Portraits